As mentioned in Grow Journal 12, I had lost control of the Swabi Pakistani 3 during late stretching during the flowering stage. The SP3 had developed dying leaves on the buds, and the trichomes were not ripening along with the other plants. The SP3’s trichomes, and overall development, seemed to have about a week delay behind the other four plants. I figured I had to be patient for a ten-week sativa to ripen and that I caused the brown leaves because I had stopped the nutrients too soon.
As with my experience with baseball, poker, and life in general, just when I developed a little unwarranted cockiness about my first grow, I was humbled. When I mentioned in Grow Journal 1, I wanted this grow journal to be honest and show the good and bad, unlike most grow journals I follow.
While moving the SP3 into the middle of my tent, I accidentally broke off a branch, so I plucked off a bud and split it open. That was when I first noticed the SP3 had started to develop seeds.
This revelation came as a gut punch. I took it way harder than more experienced growers said I should have. The collective response from growers was what I would generally sum up as, “Shit happens. Get over it.” But I couldn’t. That “failed parent” feeling sat heavy in my stomach like hot stones. In addition, I was disappointed in myself for letting down sponsors, especially Mass Medical Strains.
My first thought was that the SP3 had caused the other four plants to herm, and I just didn’t realize it. I rushed into the drying room and plucked a sample bud of each of the four plants. I placed them under a bright light and broke them up searching for any signs of herming. Thinking all my plants and hard work had been ruined was the single worst moment of my first grow.
Luckily, I couldn’t find a sign of herming in the other plants. I am not sure how because the SP3 kept leaning over and touching the Steve’s Dream Queen and Blood Diamond OG on the last few days before chop. I even cut off the buds from the SDQ and BDOG that I thought the SP3 buds had been touching. Gratefully, all the buds off the other plants looked good.
With no reason to wait because the SP3 was now focusing all energy on creating seeds, I cut off the biggest colas to dry, cure, and sample smoke. I hung the rest of the plant and to dry with the other four plants.
It took a couple days for me to keep the disappointment and frustration from occupying as much headspace as it warranted. I had planned on making FECO for edibles with most of the flower from the SP3 when I first began the grow. Now, I would be making even more.
I did save the biggest colas to sample smoke. I want to be able to smell, taste, and feel the effects for a baseline that I can improve on the next time I run the strain.
Stay tuned for Grow Journal 16 in which I discuss drying, trimming, and curing.
Click here for all entries of News Joint Grow Journal. A Prairie State of Mind.