Happy to say my ladies made it across the finish line! I harvested the two Triangle Market plants on July 31st, hanging the branches in the tent and feeding the stalks and roots to my growing compost pile. After a week and a half of drying in the dark tent with a dehumidifier running, stems were beginning to snap, and I decided to buck the flowers from the branches.
During this process, I found not only a pair of seeds, but some hidden discarded anthers tucked under the foliage as well, and discovered that the plants had self-pollinated without me realizing. I don’t believe any dark periods were interrupted, so this could simply be a genetic predisposition.
As I’ve smoked through the batch since, I’ve found more than twenty S1 seeds in several ounces of material. Though I’d be miffed if I had purchased it, the prospect of another generation of Triangle Market was more exciting than the seeds were inconvenient, especially since they were easy to spot within pregnant bracts and remove before grinding.
Though I originally divided the yield between traditional mason jars and Grove bags for curing, I ended up transferring it all to the bags for the second week as I had to be away from home and wasn’t able to burp jars several times a day, like I would have wanted to. After that week, I was impressed with the proven effectiveness of the bags’ semi-breathable material technology. The Triangle Market had retained a full aromatic depth, with strong hints of grape, earth, and cookie present upon prying the zip lock.
The nugs sported a ravishing purple coat bedazzled with ripe trichome heads and carrot-orange stigmas. The smell and taste delivered notes of fruit, gas, skunk, and pine. I experienced a relaxing, relieving effect that manifested physically in the upper spine and knees, along with a mellow sociable high.
I acknowledge some shortcomings with this grow; room for improvement is always a guarantee, particularly with the first attempt. While I felt that the resin quality and quantity were both on point, I know the yield was not as much as it could have been with more low stress training and high stress training efforts. Moreover, the proportion of sugar leaf to inflorescence was a greater ratio than I would have liked. On the upside, this left me with plenty of trim to make several fairly potent coconut oil infusions.
Additionally, I’ll admit to having rushed the drying period before commencing the cure. If I had allowed moisture to be more thoroughly drawn out of the center of the buds, they might have turned out even more flavorful and less harsh. I also can’t help but think I cut off the plants’ nutrient feed about a week prematurely, though the difference might have been negligible. All in all, however, I’m proud of my results and would be pleased to replicate them for the most part. On to the next one! For more Illinois cannabis industry news, visit here.
To learn about cannabis-friendly events in Illinois, visit here.
For Illinois News Joint reviews, visit here.
To qualify and receive a medical patient card at a discounted rate, visit here.