Recently, I was told that “Cannabis is your religion” and though I took it as a compliment, it wasn’t intended to be. As mentioned in an early post, creating memes is my favorite part of publishing Illinois News Joint, because it gives me a creative outlet that connects me to my education and roots. So in response to my “new” religion, I created three more memes for our Cannabis Groverb series and listed below the process in creating all our original memes. To see the other two Cannabis Groverbs, visit here.
Usually, I prefer to create original memes from a spark of personal creativity and not from other’s actions, but often times that is what a creative outlet is for. Also, if we can’t poke fun at ourselves, do we have the right to poke fun at others?
I am often asked what goes into the creation of our memes. In general, I have five rules for creating original memes for Illinois News Joint.
- First and foremost, memes are personal for me. The meme has to entertain me. If I think the meme is funny and/or entertaining and delivers what I want for an original meme, I truly don’t care if others enjoy the meme or not.
- To entertain me, memes usually have to be funny, offbeat, eccentric, void of clichés, and/or esoteric, but most importantly, I want our memes to be unique, unexpected, and creative. Plus, we really enjoy satirical backhands.
- I don’t follow or chase meme trends. I won’t hop onto “trending” memes or rehash worn-out memes that everyone is plastering across social media.
- I don’t force the creation of memes on a schedule. When the germ of the idea hits me, I write it down and see where it goes from there. I’ve trashed more meme ideas/attempts than I’ve completed, and most of the time with creating art, that is needed.
- I create and design each meme from scratch. It takes too much time and usually is not worth it. But Memes are a creative outlet for me that most of publishing News Joint does not supply, and my mind and body have to have some type of creative outlet.
For more Illinois cannabis industry news, click here.
To learn about cannabis-friendly events in Illinois, click here.
For Illinois News Joint reviews, click here.
To qualify and receive a medical patient card at a discounted rate, click here.